AdSense Mobile Ad

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Why I manually manage my iPhone's music

The problem

I own a pretty large music library which is hosted on a dedicated ZFS file system. Access to UNIX clients is provided via NFS and access to Windows clients is provided via CIFS. So far, so good. The problem is that the library is huge, very huge: not only the number of files is high, but some files themselves are huge. Whenever I buy a new CD, I rip it and encode it with a lossless codec in order to store the sufficient information in the case I need to burn another copy of the CD. On the Solaris Operating System, I'm using FLAC to encode such files. Alongside these lossless-encoded files, I use to encode another copy of the files in an easier to handle format, more suitable to use with portable devices. In this case, I use to re-encode FLAC files with an MP3 encoder.

Keeping organized such a library isn't difficult and the only problem I had so far is expanding storage according to my needs and backing it up: since I'm using ZFS, I'm an happier (and a wiser) man.

The problem with iTunes and such kind of programs is that they don't fit very well in the big library and networked storage scenario. Starting iTunes would take long to complete and, moreover, network would be the bottleneck. I never liked such a waste of resources and this is one of the reasons I never, ever, used a program to keep "organized" my music library.

But, what's the matter with the iPhone? Well, the iPhone is a glorified iPod and we all know that Apple is so kind to not allow us to read or write files on our phone but using iTunes.

iTunes synchronization

The iTunes way is very simple and idiot-proof: the iPhone is kept in sync with your iTunes-managed libraries: music, videos but also contacts, application and so forth. Kept I all of my music in just one laptop, that would (probably) be great but as I told you that's not (fortunately) the case.

The first times I synchronized my iPhone I used to:
  • Adding files to my library.
  • Synchronizing the iPhone.
Unfortunately, if my laptop cannot access the CIFS shares where the music is, iTunes just sees missing files and your iPhone will be empty after the next synchronization. Not so good.

The following times I thought I'd better copy files locally, first, and then synchronize. Good! Well, no. Because, unless you leave those files there (forever!), you'd hit the same behavior I described earlier. Replicating seldom is a good idea. Replicating such a library, definitely is not.

That's the kind of idiosyncrasy I hate in an end user program. Or it isn't an idiosyncrasy at all and it's me who's a strange user. Anyway, that's why I switched to manually manage my iPhone files. No library synchronization. I just copy files from the CIFS share directly into the iPhone. Just as if it was a plain old phone. No stale files on my laptop to keep iTunes happy.

No comments: